1/18/2005

The Fallen

RightThinkingGirl visited Shanksville, PA - where Flight 93 went down on September 11, 2001 - and took photos. A small gallery worth your time.

I live in Pennsylvania, and so it would not be inconvenient for me to visit this place. Nor would it be inconvenient for me to visit Ground Zero in New York City. Yet, I have not gone to either place. I've thought about it a lot, and I do feel a certain obligation to spend some time in these places.

Yet, three years after the fact, I'm still not ready to confront the enormity of it in person. I have a Time-Life commemorative hardcover that I look at once a week or so, and the photos still move me to tears. Thankfully, no one that I know was lost on that day. Still, I carry an ache from that day that I don't expect will ever really go away.