2/10/2005

One For the Gipper

RightPundit reminds us that yesterday was the first day of issue for the Ronald Reagan stamp pictured below:


I first started taking an interest in politics in the early years of Ronald Reagan's first term. Though I was far too young to have a sophisticated understanding of politics, I enjoyed listening to Ronald Reagan speak. He talked simply, directly, and confidently. In middle school, I was a fan of Ronald Reagan much in the same way that kids are fans of sports teams or rock stars.

It was Reagan that turned me on to politics, an interest that is with me to this day as this blog will attest. While I disagree with some of my conservative colleagues that Reagan's face should be on Mount Rushmore, I believe that Reagan was a very good president. I think he would not be displeased with the picture on the stamp.